Friday, November 28, 2008

Done with the First Issue

One of my friends, after reading this script, looked at me in horror and said to me, "You can't do that to Batman! That is not Batman!".

It amazed me how hurt he looked. He had been a Batman fan for as far back as he could remember and this script did not make him happy.

He was wrong though, I could do this Batman. I can do whatever I like, because this isn't for DC, this is for me and is about what I want. Mind you, this is not necessarily the events I would like DC to have happen, but it is the characters as I understand them or would like them to be.

I would like a Batman who is a human being, and 52 presented a unique opportunity for that. Often times it has been portrayed that Bruce Wayne is an act and Batman is who this character is. Still, even if that were true that Batman was just playing the role of Bruce Wayne, any actor will tell you that a role develops a character and personality of its own, hence Jack Nicholson taking the time to talk to Heath Ledger about the emotional toll of playing the Joker.

And who is Bruce Wayne? Bruce Wayne is an asshole. A drinking, womanizing, and playful asshole.

But why hang out with Batzarro? Because Batzarro wants nothing from Bruce Wayne. Anyone else would either be looking for money or for Bruce to do something for them. Bruce Wayne is a man trapped by his own inheritance, for his inheritance makes any and all of his relationships suspect, and Batzarro is so clear in his wants and needs that their is no place for duplicity on his part.

Batzarro also has a desire, though, and that is to be Batman, and the closest he can get to being Batman is to hang out with him.

But what about Alfred? Hasn't he wanted Bruce Wayne to stop being Batman since forever? Well, once Alfred sees that the Bruce Wayne act is no longer and act, but who Bruce Wayne is, he doesn't like him much, either. Alfred wants a balance between the persona that is Bruce Wayne and the persona that is Batman, as both men are extremes.

But how does this relate to Batman being human? Human beings make mistakes. Some may argue that Batman does not, but he does, he just doesn't when it comes to fighting crime. Batman/Bruce has screwed up so many relationships, mostly by simply not paying attention, and now is no different, it just has harsher consequences when it comes to Batzarro.

Of course, I am sure Keith Giffen will complain about this, but why the Joker? Why the hell did the Joker have to tie into this? As my friend had mentioned to me at one time, the Joker and Batman need each other. I don't believe that. I believe the Joker feels a need for Batman, not vice versa. Since Batman was gone, Joker had to find some way to prompt him to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment